Recipes for Meatless Days- Butternut Squash and Mushroom Lasagne:
This simple and delicious vegetarian lasagne recipe is a filling, crowd pleasing dish for a vegetarian option or those increasing their meatless days. Make in advance for a quick, pop in the oven dinner.
You will need:
Serves 3 (greedy people) or 4 (smaller eaters)
- 1 butternut squash, deseeded and cubed into 2cm cubes
- A sprig of rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves
- 600g mushrooms sliced
- 1 mozzarella cheese ball (I use reduced fat)
- 60g cheddar (I use reduced fat)
- 20g parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to season
For the white sauce:
- 1 litre of milk- I use semi skimmed
- 1 bay leaf
- 30g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- 50g feta cheese (I use reduced fat)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a preheated oven (180c/ gas mark 4), toss your squash cubes in a little rapeseed oil (or fry spray) and spread in a good sized baking tray. Add your garlic cloves and rosemary to the tray and roast until they are soft, or for about 30 minutes.
- 2. Pan-fry your mushrooms (I used fry spray), for about 5-10 minutes, or until their liquid is released, seasoning with pepper as you fry.
- 3. Now to make your white sauce. Firstly warm your milk in a pan with the bay leaf so that it infuses as it warms.
- 4. In another medium-sized saucepan, on a low heat, melt your butter. Slowly add the flour to the melted butter, cooking for a minute or two. It will be thick and perhaps a little lumpy at this point- don’t worry!
- 5. Add a tablespoon of the milk at a time. I use a whisk at this stage as I find it easier to combine the roux. Continue to add the milk until you have a smooth mix, then add the remaining milk (including the bay leaf). Do this very gradually, whisking gently as go.
- 6. Leave the smooth sauce on a low heat, stirring regularly for a few minutes until it has thickened. When thickened, add the mustard, feta, and half of the cheddar. Season to taste.
- 7. Now all of your elements have been prepared the building begins. Using a 23cm x 18cm (you can use a different size – just adjust your layers accordingly so they are nice and full of vegetables) ovenproof dish, begin by making a layer out of half of the mushrooms. Spread evenly on the bottom of your dish. Cover the mushrooms with a layer of the lasagne sheets.
- 8. Next, using half of your roasted squash, spreading evenly over the pasta. Add a third of your sauce to this layer. Again, cover with another layer of lasagne sheets.
- 9. The next layer will be the rest of the mushrooms and half of the mozzarella ball. Distribute evenly. Cover with another layer of lasagne sheets.
- 10.Continue with the remaining squash, another third of the sauce, then a final layer of lasagne sheets.
11.Complete the lasagne with the remaining sauce, mozzarella and cheddar spread across the top. Season with plenty of pepper.
12.Pop the lasagne in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until the cheese on top is golden.
Serve with a fresh, crispy salad of your choice.
More recipes for Meatless days:
We hope that you enjoy this recipe. For more great recipes for meatless days click here.