Vegan Laksa style recipe- Baked Butternut Squash and Cashew Nut
This vegan laksa style recipe is satisfying and tasty. With all of the flavour, but less ‘soupy’ than a traditional laksa, its the perfect meal for a cold, dark night. Other vegan recipes for a winter’s night here. Serves 2.
You Will Need:
- A blender
- 2 sticks of lemongrass- outer layer removed
- 3 cloves of garlic peeled
- 10cm piece of fresh ginger
- 1 red or green chilli (extra to make it hotter!)
- 2 spring onions trimmed
- half a bunch of fresh coriander
- 200ml of half fat coconut milk
- 600ml vegetable stock
- half a tablespoon of white wine vinegar and soy sauce
- 200g of brown basmati rice
- 750g chopped butternut squash (approx 3cm cubes)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of cashew nuts
- 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/ gas 4
- Make a paste by adding the lemongrass, garlic, ginger, spring onions, chilli, coriander (save a little for serving), coconut milk, white wine vinegar and soy sauce in a blender and blend until smooth.
- In a ovenproof casserole pan, add the rice and stock to the pan.
- Massage the butternut squash in the paste and add to the pan also. Distribute it evenly in the rice and drizzle with the sesame oil.
- Bake for 40 minutes. * check regularly that the rice is not drying out. Add a little more stock if needed.
- Add the cashew nuts and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Check that the rice is cooked at this point. If it is not, cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Season to taste. Serve with lime wedges and some sprinkled chopped coriander.
Serve with some steamed green beans. Eat and enjoy!
And for a sweet treat, how about some freshly baked vegan scones? Click here for a vegan scone recipe.
More recipe ideas here.