Chocolate and Nut Cake Recipe- A Yule Log is Not Just for Christmas
If you like a chocolate and nut cake recipe this one is for you. You need little excuse to make this delicious, rich chocolate and hazelnut yule log. This really is a chocolate lovers dream so not only for Christmas!
You will need:
- A Swiss roll tin (25cm x 30cm) lined with baking paper
For the sponge:
- 4 eggs
- 75g sifted icing sugar
- 75g SR flour
- 2 tablespoons of good quality cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla bean paste
- 2 tablespoons of caster sugar
For the hazelnut buttercream:
- 100g butter
- 100g icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons of crushed hazelnuts (crush extra to decorate the top)
- a splash of milk
For the chocolate buttercream:
- 100g of 70% dark chocolate
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g icing sugar
- First preheat your oven to 180C/ 350F/gas mark 4
- Separate the eggs, setting aside the yolks. Whisk the whites in an electric mixer to stiff peaks. Add a pinch of salt. Gradually whisk in the icing sugar and egg yolks until light and pale.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa and vanilla bean past and fold everything together with a metal spoon. Be careful to keep the air in the mix here!
- Spoon the mixture in to the lined tray and cook for 8-10 minutes until springy.
- While your sponge is cooking, place a large piece of baking paper on a flat surface and sprinkle with caster sugar. When the sponge comes out of the oven carefully tip it upside down onto the paper and remove the bottom, baked baking paper. Still hot, fold the roll with the paper inside as this will stop it cracking and sticking. Leave to cool. *you can fold along the short or long side depending on how wide you want your log. We folded along the short side.
- Next your hazelnut buttercream, mix the butter with the icing sugar until light and creamy then add the crushed hazelnuts. Unroll the cooled sponge and spread evenly. Re-roll and place in the fridge to set.
- To make your chocolate buttercream, melt the chocolate and allow to cool slightly. While the chocolate is cooling, mix the butter and icing sugar until creamy. Add the chocolate and mix until fully combined.
- Spread the chocolate buttercream completely over the cooled log (including the ends). Use a fork to make textured lines and decorate as you wish! We used more crushed hazelnuts.
Merry Christmas everyone! I am a HUGE fan of the combination of chocolate and nuts so love this cake recipe.
To see our other recipes click here.