Homemade Flatbread Recipe
Flatbread are super versatile and much easier to make than you would think. Use this homemade flatbread recipe to make your own in advance to save serving time- they stay fresh for couple of days. These really are worth the time and effort.
You will need
(to make 6 flatbread):
- 350g self raising flour
- 175g yoghurt (use soya yoghurt to make vegan friendly breads)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- a little warm water to bind the dough
- To make your flatbread dough, first mix the flour, baking powder, salt and yoghurt either by hand or using an electric mixer.
2. Add small amounts of warm water slowly and gradually until you have a soft dough- if you add too much simple compensate with a little more flour. Knead your dough (on a floured board or in the mixer) for 5-10 minutes.
3. Use a little fry spray to oil some cling film and wrap the dough, putting it in the fridge.
4. Remove the dough from the fridge about half an hour or so before making the breads. To cook the bread, split the dough into balls of approximately 85g. This does not need to be absolutely accurate!
4. Use a rolling pin, roll the balls (on a floured surface) into circles of approximately 22cm- again this does not have to be exact and perfect circles are not necessary.
5. In a medium to hot, dry, non-stick frying pan add your raw dough circle. Keep a close eye on them as the pan heat can be tricky to get right. When you see bubbles appear in the dough it is time to turn the bread over using some tongs.
6. Repeat this with the other side of the flatbread until it puffs up.
7. Put to one side and repeat with your next flatbread. Keep your flatbread warm by wrapping them in foil.
Try using this homemade flatbread recipe with our Halloumi and Vegetable Flatbread with Tahini Dressing recipe.
For more recipes click here.