Mozzarella and Roasted Tomato Risotto Recipe
This fresh, flavoursome mozzarella and roasted tomato risotto is super tasty, fresh and satisfying. Easy and simple to make, this will please vegetarians and those seeking delicious meat-free recipes. This roasted tomato risotto recipe has less fat than many other risotto recipes so is a lighter choice, but with all of the flavour.
You will need (to serve 3-4):
- 1kg tomatoes- I used cherry tomatoes but you can use any fresh type
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced or grated
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus a little extra for cooking the onions
- salt and pepper
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 1 ball of reduced fat mozzarella
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 250g risotto rice
Total cooking time 35-40 minutes
1.Preheat your oven at 180 oC/ gas mark 4. Put your tomatoes *If you are using larger tomatoes cut them into quarters. on an oven tray, drizzle with 1tbsp olive oil, sprinkle with thyme, garlic, and some salt and pepper, and roast for 30-40 minutes until soft. Take out of the oven and allow to cool.
2. When slightly cooled, put your tomatoes in a blender to make a paste. If you do not have a blender, mash them as smoothly as you can to make a paste.
3. Put 750ml of hot water in a small saucepan. Bring the water to the boil, then add your vegetable stock cubes. Stir to make your stock. Keep the stock on a low heat throughout cooking this dish, adding gradually to the risotto as needed.
4.In a large saucepan, add a small amount of olive oil (or fry spray). Add the chopped onions and cook at a low heat for about 10 minutes until they are soft.
5.Add the risotto rice to the onions and stir. Add about 100ml of the hot stock to the rice and onions and continue to stir for 5 minutes.
6. Continue to add the stock gradually (about 100ml at a time), regularly stirring for about another total of 20 minutes, or until the rice is beginning to soften and you have the right consistency for you- you will be adding the paste for don’t make the risotto rice too wet at this stage. You may have a little stock left in your small pan.
7. Now add the roasted tomato paste and continue stirring for another 5 minutes. You are aiming for the consistency pictured below, so add more stock if needed or allow the risotto to cook a little more if too wet. Tear up your mozzarella and add to the risotto, mixing through so that it melts into the rice. Season to taste.
8.Sprinkle on with some fresh basil leaves and serve with a rocket salad. Add a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese if you wish.
Roasted tomato risotto:
We hope that you enjoyed our risotto recipe. Please let us know in the comments below! For more of our meatless recipes click here.